Magic Mushroom Forum Growing Shrooms  
Go Back   Magic Mushroom Forum Growing Shrooms > Mushroom Cultivation > Mushroom Cultivation

Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Default Jars not fully colonizing

I am a first time grower. I used 12 one pint jars with a brown rice flour/vermiculite/water mixture. I have been keeping the jars in a 10 gal coleman cooler with a rod style heater on the bottom of the cooler. I originally kept the temp at about 82 degrees f, and everything went well at first. I noticed growth within the first 4 days and it continued. Sometime between the 2-3 week mark the growth significantly decreased. About half the jars seemed to have stopped growing after the first week point. The other half were about 50 percent colonized. Its now been 5 weeks, and 6 jars still look pretty much the same with little growth while the others have about 50-75 percent colonization. From what I understand, the cakes should be ready to birth after a month at the most, but for some reason some have hardly progressed past the week point. The growth has not diminished, it is still bright white and looks like its doing fine if you didnt know how long they have been in there. Im not sure why this is happening, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by E.babbar : 02-15-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Do you have holes in the lid for gas exchange? Also I recomend not using the brf, use rye berries insted. Here check this guy out...
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5301506945365206410#
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 PM

You may need to put the "h t t p : / /" in front of that. Turns out they dont let you post URLs untill you have made 15 posts or better.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the heat may be going above 80-82...cuz that is a perfect range for colonizing but it may dry your stuff out so I would just spawn em to something. If all the same strain I would get some horse or cow shit and sterilize in your PC (no need to pasteurize with cubies) and then squeeze out by hand and then fluff up and mix equal parts of colonized spawn (just scrape off uncolonized portion and toss it) and mix with equal parts poo and mix well and then put a piece of plastic wrap, wax paper or foil touching the surface and then cover it. In 5 days it should be fully colonized..., remove the cover and wax paper and either case with verm or just put in the fruiting chamber. Maybe you didn't have enough air exchange but if you spawn it and it isn't dead it should recolonize even if stalled, I do it all the time when cakes stall with success 95% of the time...then fan a few times a day and mist daily, spraying directly til it pins but not during the 5 days of recolonizing...when it starts to pin mist indirectly...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I had the holes covered with tape, which I took off. I also shook up the jars to spread out the growth. Anyway, they are moving along nicely now. Thanks again
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM

You shouldnt even be able to shake a BRF jar- there shouldnt be enough room to shake. Also, at 50+% colonization, the cake should be a solid "cake"- like a hockey puck.

Anyhow, FAE was your problem. As soon as you see growth, remoke tape/foil, and if using an airtight cont. like you are, open the cover every day (at least) and let your babies breathe.

Glad they are back on track! Keep an eye out for contams- they love the temp range you are using!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM

UPDATE:

It appears at least one of my jars has sour rot. The others look ok, there was some residue on the bottom of another, so I popped one open and it didn't smell sour, just earthy. Im considering starting from scratch :/
Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Location: In the Midwest somewhere by some ...corn...yeah, corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.babbar View Post
I am a first time grower. I used 12 one pint jars with a brown rice flour/vermiculite/water mixture. I have been keeping the jars in a 10 gal coleman cooler with a rod style heater on the bottom of the cooler. I originally kept the temp at about 82 degrees f, and everything went well at first. I noticed growth within the first 4 days and it continued. Sometime between the 2-3 week mark the growth significantly decreased. About half the jars seemed to have stopped growing after the first week point. The other half were about 50 percent colonized. Its now been 5 weeks, and 6 jars still look pretty much the same with little growth while the others have about 50-75 percent colonization. From what I understand, the cakes should be ready to birth after a month at the most, but for some reason some have hardly progressed past the week point. The growth has not diminished, it is still bright white and looks like its doing fine if you didnt know how long they have been in there. Im not sure why this is happening, any help would be appreciated.
colonize at room temp after about 30% colonization growth really takes off and each jar will produce heat of its own up to 3 degrees above ambient temps so if your temps at 82 then your jars could be up to 85, which is perfect for contams and stalling. lower temps!!!Happy shrooms!!!