Magic Mushroom Forum Growing Shrooms  
Go Back   Magic Mushroom Forum Growing Shrooms > Mushroom Cultivation > Mushroom Cultivation

Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 AM

Default black stuff (mold?) growing on my mushrooms

This black stuff seems to be plaguing my mushrooms. I'm trying to upload a picture but the site won't let me post URLs until I have posted 15 posts on the forum. It's just blackness of the shrooms. The cakes look pretty contaminant free (in my slightly trained eyes) and they grow very well, but it seems as the mushrooms reach maturity they sometimes get these black spots. So my questions would be A) what is it? B) is it bad? C) where is it coming from, the cakes or is it post-birthing contamination
Old 12-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

dont worry about it, they are spores from the mushrooms dropping but somehow the airflow gets em all over the caps
Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

After the veil tears they are ready to pick...if you leave em for about 12-24 hrs afterwards they drop their spores to continue their lifecycle but they get all over everything ...even on top of caps with no shroom above it...but don't worry, they are still good, just pick em and dry em...
Old 12-26-2008, 08:14 PM

I was hoping that was what is was, just worried. So it's kind of like the mushrooms are making a spore print on top of themselves?

I'll have to get better at determining exactly when the veil is splitting.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM

you can tell just by looking under it, when the veil splits you can see the gills, that is when they are ready to harvest
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 AM

It seems like sometimes I can see the gills when the mushroom is still very small. How big are they supposed to get before the veil splits? Anything from 4 inches down to 2 or less seems to be about what I'm getting. Mostly around the 2 inch range it looks like the gills start to make an appearance. Hence my terrarium is black with spores because I leave all these spore depositing mushrooms in there for a while because I want them to be a little bigger. I don't want need them to be huge, but when they're dried if you pick a little guy it's hardly worth looking at, it looks like nothing.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator

ya, sounds like either too cold or bad genetics....make sure you fan em enough too cuz too much CO2 can cause em to be small...just try again, maybe your next flush will be bigger
Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 AM

I have them in a plastic tote with holes drilled in it. Would it be better to leave the top off or is that too much? There's a decent amount of holes, but not as many as the demonstration I saw.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I sometimes leave it open a lil but you want to keep the humidity high so maybe drill some more holes or leave the top open a crack, but dont take the top off or you will get small shrooms that are very dry...and shriveled
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM

i know this is an old thread but we left mushrooms closed in this this plastic bag for almost a whole week (i know it was a mistake) and now theyīre all open and completely black, including the cake. i opened it inside of the apartment. is this really so dangerous that something can happen to me now? i aready put it outside now though....