Magic Mushroom Forum Growing Shrooms  
Go Back   Magic Mushroom Forum Growing Shrooms > Mushroom Cultivation > Mushroom Teks

Old 05-17-2008, 05:27 AM

Default How to make mushroom capsules

One day about 10 years ago, I was sitting at the kitchen table just spacing out and I looked at a bottle of herbs my girlfriend at the time had, they were these big capsules full of ground herbs. Thats when the light bulb came on, now I only credit myself for thinking of it, although many people out there also had the same idea, I dont want it to be misconstrued in that I am trying to say I was the original pioneer of this tek, I am not, but everything I am posting here I thought of myself.

So lets start out with a good mixture of mushrooms, I have found repeatedly that the smaller cubies give more intense visuals and effects than do the larger ones. I start with shrooms that are just beginning to tear at the veil thats under the cap protecting the gills, then I harvest every size on down from there. I get a few big ones, some mids, some smalls, and then all the little aborts as well. Let these dry in front of a fan on low speed for 2 days, the smallest of them I just set aside because the fan blows them all over and they dry fast without the fan.

Next we are going to need dessicant of some kind, and what this is for, is drying the shrooms the rest of the way for grinding.
From Wikipedia I bring the following description;
Pre-packaged desiccant is most commonly used to remove excessive humidity that would normally degrade or even destroy products sensitive to moisture. Silica gel, calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, montmorillonite clay, and molecular sieves are commonly used as desiccants.

You will also need an airtight container for your shrooms that is appropriate for the amount of dessicant that you have to work with, here is an example of the container that goes with the above dessicant bag.

Place the dessicant bag in the bottom of the container and then put all yor shrooms on top of the bag and seal with lid tightly.

A few things to take into consideration, dont place really wet shrooms into the dessicator, make sure the dessicant does not get filled with moisture before the shrooms are dry. It only takes about 1-2 days to dessicate a small anount, but check them periodicaly for moisture, if they are too moist they will be wet again on the outside when you check them.

Once you are able to take the thickest mushroom and snap it instead of it bending, they are ready for the grinder.

This is one example of an inexpensive coffee grinder, if you are a witch and have a mortar and pestle then that will work also. The idea when using the electric grinder is to avoid heating up the unit, pulsing, hitting the button several times in succesion works fine, it avoids high temps that arise from holding the button down and the machine being on wide open for extended periods. The mushroom powder is sensitive to heat and should be treated gently.

Last, take your powder and put it in the empty capsules, taking care to fill them as full as possible, just take your pile of ground shroom powder, put into a bowl and with latex gloved hands take and open the capsules and using the longer of the 2 halves, turn it upside down and push straight down into the middle of the pile of mushroom powder. The powder will go up into the capsule half and stay, if it falls out you need to make the pile deeper. As you lift it back up from the pile, there will be a hole the size of the half capsule, keep pushing the open end down into the pile until the powder is packed inside the capsule, this takes anywhere from 3-5 pushes.

You will be able to tell when its full with just a bit of practice. Then I set the long half aside, and take the short half of the capsule and just loosly fill it almost to the top with loose powder, we dont want to pack the short half or the capsule wont go back together. If you put too much in the short half and the 2 halves wont go back together, only remove a small amount of the loose powder from the shorter half only.

It does not take long to master this tek, if inclined, get some Echinacea herb pills from walmart, walgreens, almost anywhere, those capsules are the 00 and you can practice a little by emptying out the herbs and using the herb powder to practice refilling before you do the tek with shroom powder.

In addition, its probably best to buy a $2-3 bottle of herbs and empty them and use the capsules from them if you are just trying this out.
The size of capsule if you are buying them from the health food store is, 00. The 00 capsule when full, holds a half of one gram. The 000 capsule will hold 3/4 of one gram, but who wants to swallow something that big? Here is 2 1/2 grams of powder in easy to ingest capsules.

Finally, find a herb bottle that is white and put the capsules in it with a smaller bag of dessicant, the kind that usually comes with a bottle of herb capsules, place in the fridge and you have a party in a bottle just waiting for the perfect time to take the lid off.

There are many advantages to making capsules, more even doses, more control, better visuals, my stomach and everyone I have eaten them with say they never have trouble, I feel like they come on quicker and much more intense than just eating the shrooms by themselves. I will never eat them any other way.

Here is a link to a very very good capsule filler for a reasonable price, they also have empty capsules cheap.

https://capsuleconnection.com/index.php

Here is a link to get your dessicant also.

http://polylam.com/index.html

So thats how and why I want all my friends to give capsules a try, oh $#!t that rhymed lol.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Yes u can buy capsule fillers online, but they aren't hard to fill yourself, you can buy a huge container of empty pill cases at any super store with a drug section. I'm sure they sell them at most drug stores too, you would just need finely ground mushroom powder, that would have to be made from dried mushrooms. But pill cases take like 20 minutes to dissolve, so even though it would take a while for the effects it would be cool.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:59 PM

I thought I was the only one that did this but I guess not. I just buy a bottle of gelatin capsules at walmart, they are the cheapest capsulated thing I could find. Just open up and dump out the gelatin. I also just use scissors to chop up the shrooms and pack them back into the capsules. Yeah, you might have to swallow 10 capsules, but it is alot better than eating them.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM

It is a great way to keep them potent and to hide them in plain sight. Plus you don't have to taste then anymore and the powder really kicks in fast as soon as the capsules dissolve.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 PM

You can get large quantities on-line for cheap; 1,000-$10.00, 10,000-$33.00. You can even get them in different colors. It's simple to make you own capsule filling machine. I fill 50 at a time. Just a small piece of plywood with 50 holes that the large side of the capsules fit into easily. Pour the powder on top and scrape it back-and-forth until the caps are full. I have a plunger that I use to pack the powder. Keep doing this until they don't accept any more. Slip on the other empty half and your done. Exactly 1/2 gram every time in the 00 size capsule.

Everyone that I introduce this to, at first may raise their eye brows but after experiencing them, they actually prefer it. Precise dosing, no bad taste, reduced digestion discomfort and you can hide them in plain site. Enough pluses to make it worth the extra effort.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 AM

pictures are gone?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Fungi are not like other plants and vegetables in that they have no cellulose cell wall. This means that they digest very fast, without even any chewing. Making a powder out of them does not necessarily mean they digest any faster. If in a capsule, like said already, you have to wait for the capsule to digest. Thing is, you can just roll a small piece of mushroom into a pill size, and take them like a pill, never hardly tasting the mushroom. This can be done fresh or dried. slp/fmrc
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrc View Post
Making a powder out of them does not necessarily mean they digest any faster. If in a capsule, like said already, you have to wait for the capsule to digest. Thing is, you can just roll a small piece of mushroom into a pill size, and take them like a pill, never hardly tasting the mushroom. This can be done fresh or dried. slp/fmrc
I hate to disagree with people especially when I think they are well meaning. In this case though I felt I just had to speak up. The gelatin capsule will dissolve in minutes. The powder creates more surface area thereby allowing more of the mushroom material to be exposed to stomach acid at the same time. My experience with capsules is that they always came on faster.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Yes, you have the right to disagree. I opened FMRC in 1972. I have held and worked under a Federal DEA Schedule ONE Permit for many years. I did much research about capsules and powdered up mushrooms. I stand by my post. slp/fmrc